Friday, July 2, 2010

Sucker Mishap

Confession time - I overcommit. No big surprise for anyone who knows me. This week was an exceptionaly challenging week and the sucker mishap was the end of the road...

Between two baseball games, t-ball party at my house, getting Jax ready for scout camp, sleepovers, lots of neighbor kids, parents coming to watch baseball games and have barbeque, cleaning off counter that seemed a mile high, scrapbook workshop, and a week from, well you know where, at work, I committed to make suckers - 200 - for a friend's daughters for the 4th of July park fundraiser. Yes, 200 homemade suckers.

Fast forward to tonight, I thought I was mostly done - lots of nights staying up to do 'just one more batch' of suckers. I pulled out the first batch in the kitchen and this is what I found . . .





Panic moment - are all of my suckers melted?? I frantically start pulling the containers out of the cabinet (secret hiding place). Luckily, it was only this one batch. But it was the icing on the cake. The only thing to do was laugh. Seriously, how did this happen? Now that I've watched Monica eat the entire 'sucker' - totally stuck together. You needed a hacksaw to pry them apart. I realized that this was the batch that I tripled, it boiled over probably ruining it, but I kept going, I figured, oh well, it was a triple batch...... apparently there is some 'secret' in keeping everything in the pan. :) Hind sight....

So, it's midnight, all 200 suckers are done, seven colors, seven flavors, all bagged and beautified. I hope every loves them and they bring in lots of money for the junior class!! And I WOULD do it all again! I don't always get a chance to truly thank the teachers who make the difference with my kids - but this teacher (aka mom of girls) has! She has been wonderful - she's survived two of my boys and I requested her again for another. (Hopefully not punishment). This is my one little way of saying, "thank you!"

1 comment:

Jill H said...

you are a sucker (jk), and yes you do overcommit, no one can accuse you of leaving a dull life :)