Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Homework

With four kids in school it seems like most nights we spend several hours doing homework. Our time is mostly focused with Gunnar and Jaxon, they seem to be the harder grades!! Okay, maybe not, but they are the ones that like to have full parental support. Which means, Jared and I both sit at the table with Gunnar and Jaxon and shoo the other kids away while we try and get them to concentrate. I think we need a divider between the two sides of the table, since we get sidetracked frequently!

Gunnar has been learning about 're-grouping' which is the new terminology for carrying/borrowing. It's been a hard concept to learn. I finally found an idea on-line and brought out my supply of buttons. Large ones that represent 10 and small ones that represent 1. It has seemed to work well. In all of our struggles, we're learning how great he learns when he has something visual to touch and learn with. It's amazing how much progress he's made with such a small simple thing.

I guess the thing that has amazed me the most, is how different each child learns and how you have to change your approach. Although this amazes me, this is the most frustrating thing. But, it is so great to see them succeed. Jaxon made silver honor roll for the very first time last quarter. He was so proud - it was so great to see him succeed. Now, we'll have to work for the 2nd quarter!!

1 comment:

C&R Carter Family said...

Congratulations to Jaxon!! We're proud of you. Keep it up. a lot of students need visual things to learn so keep using things. I will see if I have some things that I used in school that might help. How well I remember the days of spending all night helping with home work. But time comes and goes and then we miss it. Enjoy it. I found this verse for you----

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'til tomorrow.
For babies grow up,
We've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby,
And babies don't keep.

Enjoy now!

Mom Carter