Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fablehaven - Keys to the Demon Prison

I love to read - I just don't have enough time to read.... it's one of those things you have to forget about the world while you're absorbed in a book. Fablehaven has been one of those series. The last book came out Thursday. I tried reading a little Thursday night, but my darn kids kept thinking they needed attention.... I will totally admit that I am obsessive reader. Once a book has been started - I MUST FINISH. Who needs to do laundry, dishes, and other important things, like sleep.

When book 4 came out, Monica insisted that she read it first. Which proved to be lots of fun. When it was my turn, she kept asking if I had reached a certain page number...... once I reached that certain part of the book, we were like giddy school girls discussing a cute boy at school. I love sharing books with my kids. I love having the conversations that ensue. And Fablehaven has been one of those books that I can't wait for my kids to read. Jaxon has started the first book, but hasn't quite felt the same pull that Monica and I have.

So, I started reading last night when I got home from work. Okay, I did feed my kids and make sure the house wasn't on fire. Drove kids where they needed to go and then settled down, with Cannon in my lap watching Little Einsteins, and started reading. I couldn't put it down. When Jared came home I glanced up and tried to pursuade the baby, still on my lap to go and maul his dad. No such luck. I won't even fathom how many episodes of Little Einsteins we watched last night, but I finally gave up at 1:30 and decided I should probably sleep. Although frankly, the book would have been worth staying up all night to finish.

So, due to the late night, it wasn't an early morning, but the reading started from the time that I got out of bed.... Jared made fun of me, he really doesn't like fantasy, and I wouldn't have figured myself to be an avid fantasy reader, but I've come to love the characters in the book. I finished early this afternoon - doing not much else. Occassionally I did have to tend to the baby, who was getting tired of STILL watching Little Einsteins. We even sat at the table, where I fed him lunch and read...... Now Monica has started. The giddiness begins.....

These books are written for Monica and Jaxon's age, and I probably enjoy them more because I can see my kids in the main characters, Seth and Kendra. Seth is impulsive and sometimes sneaky. Kendra is level headed and tries to see the big picture of everything. The finale was worth the wait and was spectacular.

So, if you want to explore magical places with a brother and sister, it's worth the read. The author is actually from Draper, Utah, which makes the magic a little closer!!! His name is Brandon Mull. Google his name, he's got a cool website!!

Now it's my turn to keep asking Monica, where are you in the book, what's happening and open a whole new realm of magical reading.

No comments: