Thursday, April 29, 2010

Never Ending . . . .

I drove to Reno Sunday night and then back home Tuesday. It seems like I haven't been home for a long stretch of time for a while. Whether traveling, at work, city council, coaching t-ball, driving kids here and there, it never ends. Some days, like today, I want to throw in the towel and quit everything. I think that, but then I panic, I can't quit - I committed that I would do it so I can't stop now, I better finish. It's an interesting view I take on life sometimes. I know how crazy it is - and yet, I keep doing it to myself. Great example, no one to coach t-ball, so they ask me and Jared. They're desperate, would we please help. And, Jerrick and Ryker will be on this team. My heart strings are tugged and I say yes. Luckily we have a good group of parents who are willing to help out. It sure makes it nice when you're trying to entertain a group of 4-6 year olds!

On the way home from Reno, I listed to a book on CD. It is called, "How to eat a live frog." I'm thinking this book was written exclusively for me. In the first part of the book the author, Brian Tracy, says, "You can't do everything. It's like trying to finish everything you want to get done. Catching up with everything. It will NEVER happen - so quit trying." The premise of the book is that if you eat a live frog every morning, the rest of the day will be better and you've taken care of the biggest issue you will face - so everything else is a breeze. I really like this idea, tackling the biggest task first. Not so much the part of eating a frog!! Now to just apply what I learned.

The last few weeks have been a blur and I don't want to go through life like this. It really takes all the fun out of everything, even things I enjoy. One of these days, when I have a nervous breakdown, Jared will look at me and tell me he really doesn't have any sympathy. Well, I would say that to him, he'll probably be very sympathetic!!

Tonight Cannon was hanging out with his dad and I - something he does every night, since he's incredibly spoiled. He kept saying 'Mom', no matter where I was or what I was doing. It reminded me of the bird in the movie, "Up". The bird keeps repeating a word, over and over and over. That was Cannon tonight. It made me laugh. He's quite the character. He's reached the terrible twos at 18 months. He is everywhere and into everything. Tonight, he pulled out all the bowls out of the cabinet, wrote on the wall, dumped out a bag of fishy crackers, threw kitchen utensils in the garbage and kept walking into and spreading a really large pile of dirt that somehow fell off of clothes that came in from outside. It was probably about a cup of dirt that I was trying to sweep up and kept walking in it and spreading it around. AHHHHHH! Somedays! But tonight, he cuddled for a while, then climbed into his swing and requested Little Einsteins. He's now sleeping sweetly while I type and try to take a breather. At least he's not causing any trouble right now. Now to find a few more hours in the day! :)

1 comment:

C&R Carter Family said...

I guess it's been awhile since I read the blog.
But I had a great time reading the last few posts you have put on. I just love to know that you have a nice normal house hold like we used to with all nine of our calm, quiet, helpful and loving children!!!!!